Immaculate Conception Parish
On the 10th day of December, 1871, the first Immaculate Conception Church was opened. The first “parish priest” for Immaculate Conception Parish was Father William J. Mihan (now depicted in the tree carving in our parking lot) who moved to Truro from Parrsboro in 1872.
On December 8, 1908, the feast of the Immaculate Conception, Mass was celebrated for the first time in the second Church of the Immaculate Conception, at the church’s present location on Prince Street, in Truro.
In 1976, it was determined that it was necessary to enlarge and renovate the existing church premises in Truro, and to add an adequate church hall to meet the needs of the steadily growing parish population. During the winter of 1976 – 77, the brick exterior of an adjoining parish hall, a supporting brick wall for the enlarged church, and a new entrance on Prince Street were constructed. However, on March 4, 1977, the entire wooden structure of Immaculate Conception was engulfed in flames, and the old church became a charred skeleton. Almost immediately the Stewards of the First United Church in Truro generously offered the accommodation of that church for regular Sunday services for the parish of Immaculate Conception.
The present day Church of the Immaculate Conception was constructed between 1977 and 1978, and opened on June 10, 1978, with the celebration of Eucharist. The modern design and welcoming atmosphere of the present church has served the growing population of Catholics in the Truro, Bible Hill, and surrounding areas over the last 22 years. The parish also serves three missions: Sacred Heart Church on the Millbrook Reserve, St. Ambrose’s Church in Londonderry, and St. Michael’s Church in Brule. The latter, recently constructed was consecrated by Archbishop Terrence Prendergast on September 29, 1998.